This 3 Part Salad can be served as an appetizer or a complete vegetarian meal. It’s healthy, delicious and packed with inexpensive veggie protein & fiber!
1 Bunch of Kale
1 cup Quinoa
1 Garlic Glove
1 tsp. Curry Powder
¼ cup Dried Cranberries or Currents (optional)
2 Chopped Scallions
¼ cup Almond or Cashew Bits
*Rinse quinoa before cooking to remove its natural residue. Note: quinoa cooks like rice (when fully cooked, the grain will look like fluffy spirals and there should be no remaining liquid)
- Boil 2 cups salted water
- Finely chop 1 garlic clove and add to boiling water with quinoa
- Stir in curry powder
- Add 1cup quinoa, reduce heat to simmer and cover pot
- Check ever few minutes to avoid burning
- If desired, when there is just a little liquid remaining, add the dried fruit and continue cooking until all the water is absorbed
- Once the quinoa is fully cooked, remove from heat and stir in chopped scallions and crushed nuts.
- Squeeze a ½ a lemon over the quinoa and stir
- Set aside until ready to serve
- As the quinoa cooks, prepare kale
- Wash kale and dry it well
- Use kitchen scissors or a chopping knife and cut kale into ¼ inch wide ribbons. Then chop ribbons in half.
- Gently pour a healthy drizzle of olive oil (about ¼ cup) over the greens and squeeze in a ½ lemon too. Massage greens with your fingers until tender. (The kale will turn a bright dark green and the amount of kale will shrink as if it were cooked).
- Add a dash or two of sea salt & ground pepper then toss together
- Slice 1 avocado
Serve by scooping a 1/4 cup or so of quinoa onto a plate. Place a healthy portion of kale next to it, and garnish with a few slices of avocado to complete the trifecta!