We Can Make A Difference!
Last Friday, Fab & Fru started a special campaign in honor of Thanksgiving – for every new sign up we get on Fab & Fru through midnight on Cyber Monday (Nov 29) we’re donating a can of food to Feeding America. THANK YOU to all the new sign ups we have already gotten - and please continue to spread the word. Signing up is a great way to give yourself the free gift of financial empowerment this holiday season – and help fight hunger in America at the same time!
Giving More Than Thanks
With all of us in a frenzy gearing up for the Black Friday rush, something I saw on TV yesterday really made me pause. I turned on the news here in Los Angeles to see thousands of people stretched for blocks and blocks around downtown L.A. — all in hopes of receiving a free turkey dinner. It was the 24th annual turkey dinner giveaway – and it wasn’t a government run operation. It was actually founded by a local merchant – E.J. Jackson of Jackson’s Limousine Service. And it was really inspiring to learn that this local businessman was responsible for donating 10,000 (yes, TEN THOUSAND!) free Turkey Dinners to the needy in L.A. – all in one day!
Beyond those lucky enough to receive a free turkey dinner, there are many, many Americans grateful for basic canned food donations - which all our local food pantries are in need of. It’s no surprise that as the economy continues to stumble, food banks are experiencing record breaking demand.
And many food bank directors are seeing a new client in their lines – formerly middle class or affluent citizens who in the past were donating food themselves – and never dreamed they’d be the ones asking for help.
According to MSN Money, the most needed items in food pantries are: proteins, chunky soups and stews, rice and pasta, cereals, veggies, beans, pasta, shelf stable milk, 100% fruit juice and box mixes like mac and cheese. Basically, think about the things you use the most, that also have the most nutritional value. Other families want to feed their families the same nutritious foods that you do!
Feeding America is the country’s leading domestic hunger relief charity. They work with food banks in all 50 states plus D.C. and Puerto Rico to help get food to the neediest people. Checking out their recent hunger survey was a humbling experience – to say the least. For example:
- Feeding America is annually providing food to 37 million Americans, including 14 million children. This is an increase of 46 percent over 2006, when we were feeding 25 million Americans, including 9 million children, each year.
- That means one in eight Americans now rely on Feeding America for food and groceries.
- Feeding America’s nationwide network of food banks is feeding 1 million more Americans each week than we did in 2006.
- Thirty-six percent of the households we serve have at least one person working.
- More than one-third of client households report having to choose between food and other basic necessities, such as rent, utilities and medical care.
- The number of children the Feeding America network serves has increased by 50 percent since 2006.
Food For Thought
Reading these stats really puts things in perspective. Try to keep them in mind Friday morning at 4 am when you find out that big box store you camped out at all night only had 3 super sale TVs in stock – and you didn’t get one!
Despite the economy, we all have many things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. We are so thankful for all of our readers and we wish you all a Fab & Fru Thanksgiving!| Print