Fill Her Up?!

Last Sunday, Marjorie asked her good friend Jess if she could borrow her car to take her visiting Aunt to the outlet malls just outside of New York City.  Jess was happy to lend Marjorie her car, but she warned her that she only had a quarter tank of gas.  “No worries”.  Marjorie said. ” I’ll just fill her up”.  But when she went to the gas station, Marjorie filled the tank just enough to get she and her aunt to the outlets and back.  When she returned Jess’s car, there was just the same quarter tank left…

As a thank you for borrowing the car, should Marjorie have returned Jess’s car with a full tank of gas, or was it okay to return it with just a quarter tank?  Tell us what you think!

9 Responses to “Fill Her Up?!”

1. Sheila says:

Yes, she should have filled it up. Jess did her friend a great favor by not only lending her the car but trusting she would drive safely. The least Marjorie could do is repay her by either filling the car or leaving her with more gas than she started out with.

2. Louie says:

Don’t want to sound curt, but are you kidding me? Protocol demands a full tank return, even a today’s gas prices. This action is non-appreciative cheap. Nothing more nothing less.

• Melinda Sanders-McCollough says:

I think the age old saying “treat people like you’d like to be treated” is perfect in this situation. And I’ll say it again, If you want to loan someone something, do it out of the kindness of your heart or state what your stipulations are. Then there is no question.

3. liz says:

She should definitely have filled it up. Think about how much it would have cost her to rent a car.

4. Kim says:

She said she would fill it up. So sh should have. Next time say no.

5. Yvonne says:

It’s common courtesy/etiquette to return a borrowed car with a full tank. Marjorie is absolutely cheap – she shouldn’t be surprised if Jess is reluctant to let her borrow it in the future!

6. lisa price says:

I agree with these responses. she should have filled it up, especially because she said she would. Show your appreciation & Always be more kind than necessary. I am doubting her friend will lend the car again.

7. Sharon says:

Absolutely should have returned the car with a full or almost full tank of gas,,a no brainer.

8. Rich says:

I loaned my ex wife an extra car, due to her car having “issues”. I got my car back with the same amount as it had. I thought as a “thank you” she would top it off. I thought it was a “no brainer”, but she says I’m just being cheap. My current wife is not cool with her gesture. It’s going to be a long weekend. I also forwarded this link to her, it was nice to hear what you ladies had to say