The Push Present

Our friend Amy recently gave birth to a gorgeous, healthy baby boy.  The delivery went better than anticipated, and Amy and her husband felt truly blessed – which is why Amy was feeling a little guilty that she was disappointed that her husband hadn’t gotten her a push present, yet.  Many of her friends’ spouses had bought them commemorative jewelry to symbolize the start of their family, and with each subsequent birth, the charms on their necklaces multiplied or their rings had begun to stack…

So many of Amy’s friends have been asking her about her gift to the point that she was annoyed at first that they were all focusing on the present – and not her healthy baby boy.  But then, Amy’s subconscious expectations got the best of her, and she confronted her husband.

Is Amy justified for wanting an expensive gift commemorating the the birth of their son? Or is she acting petty by expecting jewelry for something women have been doing for centuries?  Tell us what you think!

6 Responses to “The Push Present”

1. Sharon King-Savage says:

She should not be swayed by her friends nor should she fall into the trap of peer pressure. Trying to keep up with the Joneses overshadows the joy of a beautiful healthy baby.

I say enjoy the baby and forget about people who think everything should be marked by a trinket.

2. liz says:

It’s ridiculous. Just be happy that you had a healthy baby. And get new friends – those ones sound obnoxious and annoying

3. Amy Saves says:

push present? is this a new trend? when i gave birth to a healthy baby girl over 10 years ago, there was no such thing. agree with liz.. it’s just ridiculous.

4. Parker says:

It is completely ridiculous to “expect” this. However, this is not a “new trend.” I am in my mid 30′s and have siblings that are 10 years older. My father bought my mother a bracelet when my eldest sister was born, to commemorate the start of their family. This has been a tradition in many WASP families for generations. Even my midwest, depression era farming grandparents honored this event with a very small gold cross on her first child. It doesn’t have to be jewelry, and it doesn’t have to be expensive. And if it’s not your family tradition, there is no need to really start one.

In this age of ostentatious materialism, though – I could see how a bunch of wanna-be, competitive, and desperate women can get caught up in the present, besides what is really important. When these obnoxious woman ask Amy about her gift – she should point to her beautiful and healthy son. Her husband already gave her a great gift – and vice versa.

5. Louie says:

I totally agree with all above who shared their feelings and comments about this ridiculous materialized commercial new supposed want-to-be tradition. I have two kids and 3 grandchildren and the only push I got was to the diaper pail, the same as my wife and daughter in law.

6. abby says:

I love the idea of push presents! The tradition is designed to give the mother something that she will have for the rest of her life that commemorates her experience of bringing a new life into the world. The actual gift itself should be symbolic of an endless love and desire for protection of the mother and child throughout their lives. It’s deep, emotional, and beautiful. That being said, new shoes would not fall into the category of a “perfect push present”, and it is not a selfish act but rather a self-LESS act of kindness and joy. Juno Lucina just launched a whole line of beautiful push gifts for new mothers (www.jlucina.com). That is what the perfect push gift looks like.