Really Tacky?

Our friend Janey threw a fnatastic New Year’s Eve party.  Everyone gussied up, and it was a super fun, festive evening.  Janey, ever the hostess with the mostess, was wearing a fabulous strapless cocktail dress, complete with a simple, sparkling necklace to top it off.  Our friend Lynn walked in, immediately told Janey how great she looked and then zoned in on her glittering necklace.  Without skipping a beat, she then blurted out “Wow!  Those diamonds aren’t real, are they?!”

A little taken aback, Janey told her the necklace actually wasn’t ‘real’, and that she had gotten it on sale at Banana Republic the week before.  Personally, we were in awe of her very Fab & Fru piece of jewelry – which totally looked liked a real diamonds to us…  But Janey told us later she was really annoyed that Lynn asked her – in front of her guests – if her rocks were fake.

Is is a faux pas to ask about a friends jewels?  Or was Janey being a little oversensitive?  Tell us what you think!

9 Responses to “Really Tacky?”

1. Bethany says:

I think it’s tacky to ask, especially in front of other people. Does it really matter if the jewelry is real or not?? At the very least, ask when no one else is around!

2. Jiminy Drambuie says:

Beyond tacky, it really is just downright uncouth. Frugality or not set aside – it’s never “Fabulous” to have such poor manners.

3. Denise says:

Some people have no filter! Admire, then walk away!

4. Molly says:

It’s VERY tacky! If you just say something like, “Your necklace is gorgeous”, the wearer might volunteer a reply such as, “Thank you, I got it at Banana Republic” and then you’d know that the wearer is totally comfortable with talking about it. If they just say,
    “Thank you”, then keep your big mouth shut!

5. carol says:

It’s pretty tacky especially in front of other guests. If it is a very close friend, ask in private. I think it’s equally as tacky to try to pass something fake off as being real.

6. Molly says:

Carol,
    Saying “thank you” if someone compliments your jewelry, doesn’t mean you’re trying to pass it off as being real.
    If you ask someone if their jewels are real, and they say ‘yes’, when they’re fake, they’re simply lying. But then, you shouldn’t have asked in the first place, and you may have put them in an extremely uncomfortable position where they felt that lying was their best option.

I have a very, very expensive multi diamond necklace passed down to me from my grandmother and frankly, I think I’d be more comfortable if people thought it was fake…..depending on where I was.

7. Alexandra says:

Heinously tacky.

If Lynn actually thought that necklace was real, she must have been truly disappointed that Jannie wasn’t serving Dom and Caviar. To say tacky is an understatement commentary on Lynn’s intelligence. I would say a severe case of foot-in-mouth disease is the diagnosis.

9. filochick1982 says:

I can totally relate to this. I have a few colleagues who often ask if my designer bags are ‘real’ which of course they are as I don’t believe in fakes. She has never asked in front of other people but why would you ask this in the first place? I find it incredibly rude.