Should You Tip on the Tax?

Our friend Kate just went on a second date with Ron.  Like the first date, it was SO much fun.  And like the first date, Ron insisted on paying for dinner.  Kate thanked him and told him she would only agree if he let her leave the tip…

As soon as Kate put down the cash for the tip, Ron told her she had left too much.  Kate told him she always leaves 20%.  Ron said he did too.  The confusion was soon alleviated when they realized that while Kate leaves 20% on the whole bill – including tax – Ron always tipped 20% on the PRE-TAX amount.

To Kate, this was actually the tipping point – she thought it was so cheap of Ron to tip on the pre-tax amount that her excitement level about him went down …by at least 20%!

So, what do you think? Is it ok to tip on the pre-tax amount – or only on the full bill?  Is Ron cheap …or just frugal?

12 Responses to “Should You Tip on the Tax?”

1. laura says:

that is not a turn off at all….he’s right to tip on the pre tax amount and is appropriately frugal (not cheap!).

2. Diana says:

I’m sorry but tax is us tipping the government sooooo…. He’ll no. I won’t be tipping on tax.

3. Lisa says:

Sorry but I think that is totally cheap! It never occurred to me to tip on the pre-tax amount – is this common??

4. Mia says:

Hmmmm I never thought about tipping on the pre-tax amount. I guess this really only makes a big difference when you are spending large amounts for dinner. I’m normally pretty frugal with my restaurant choices so it doesn’t really make a huge difference for me.

5. Simon says:

Tip on tax, never! Also, tipping is supposed to be 15% for typical good service, and only 20% if service is beyond that. With restaurant prices getting so high, 15% is not a small sum.
    Here in NYC, the tax is 9% so we just all double the tax which leaves them with 18%.

On another note, Kate is petty and a controller. If a person wants to treat you to dinner….as is the norm in early dating….why INSIST on leaving the tip?
    When someone offers to buy me dinner, my response is simply “thank you”. When I want to recipricate, I’ll take them them to dinner, not share a percentage of it with them. Yeech!
    Why not just castrate him surgically? It’s less painful and faster.

He’ll be dumping her soon.

6. Nancy says:

Food for thought. Have always tipped pretax and, in fact, this is what restaurants do when they add the gratuity for a larger group. However, the servers tip out on the after-tax amounts. You are being very generous (and nice) if you do so. Tip is always 20%.

7. carol says:

I usually tip 20%, less if the service is bad. The tip is for the waiter or waitress and is for good or exceptional service which has nothing to do with the tax. Therefore, the tip should be based on the pre-tax amount.

8. Nicole says:

Since he offered to pay, there is no reason to pay for the tip nor to consider him cheap for how he chooses to tip. 20% is already above the minimum, and it is usual to tip from the pre-tax amount. Letting her tipping taste factor into how she feels about him seems like an excuse for preexisting feelings.

9. Susan says:

Some people only tip 15% overall so if he’s tipping 20% pretax, he’s still leaving more money than some. I’d gather more information before deciding if he’s a cheapskate. If there are other indicators, then maybe. But being careful with money is an admirable quality as long as it doesn’t cross the line to being rude or stingy to others.

10. Christie says:

Kate has a lot of nerve. She’s the rude one for a. insulting his politely paying for the meal by offering to pay the tip …not “modern” ladies, just be gracious, and then b. judging him for how much HE wants to leave for HIS purchase. Come on. And tipping pre tax or post is FULLY up to the consumer so I don’t think it matters either way. I agree with Simon though, dump this girl, she has no manners!

11. Lauren says:

Saw this last night and checked with friends at work this morning. We all agreed pre-tax. Why all the upset? Personal choice.