The Nanny Nerve?!

Jessica recently hired a new nanny to help with her three kids.  After interviewing what seemed like every nanny in Manhattan, Annie seemed like the perfect addition to her family.  Kind, punctual, and creative – all of Jessica’s children took to her immediately.

After a fantastic first week, Annie told Jessica how much she loved working with her family and was so grateful for the job.  Then Annie proceeded to tell Jessica she had a favor to ask her – could she borrow $500?   Annie promised to pay the money back week by week over the next few months…

Jessica felt so awkward, she said yes without really thinking about it.  Her mind was a jumble of emotions.  On one hand, she was so grateful to have found Annie, but wasn’t sure if it was ever okay for an employee to borrow money from an employer – much less after only a week of work!

Jessica’s friends were split on the issue.  Some said it wasn’t a big deal.  Jessica could just give her an advance on her pay…  While others thought Annie’s nerve showed such a disturbing character flaw in a nanny, that they advised firing her immediately!

What would you do?  Tell us what you think!

6 Responses to “The Nanny Nerve?!”

I’d be split on this one too. Maybe it was a long time between jobs for the Nanny and she got behind on some big bills?
    If it were me, I’d probably give her the benefit of the doubt, and nicely but firmly tell her that this isn’t going to be a regular thing. After a month of steady employment and regular paycheck, I’d tell her that I’m going to take $50. a week out of her pay for 10 weeks to pay it back.

2. Lynn says:

But this leads to another issue – what if, for some reason, Annie leaves her job as Jessica’s nanny – then how is she assured of getting the money back? She’s only been on to job a week so that repayment plan (coming out of salary) assumes she will be working there for a while…

I’m sure this Nanny supplied references, no? What was her longevity at last 2 employers? If she exhibited longevity, this should be a good indicator in itself. Also, you should set a pre-determined amount per week that she will pay back without fail out of her weekly earnings. This can’t be left to an arbitrary pay back time at some future date.
    If all meets the smell test and you act accordingly to the above advice, by all means lend her the money. It’s worth the small gamble and will go far, as good-will, if she lasts as a long time employee.

I totally agree w/ Lou. I’m assuming that the parents checked references before entrusting her children with someone, and that she has a positive history with another family.
    Also agree with Lou that an act of kindness can go far and worth the gamble.

5. Sharon says:

Iam a Nanny, and I do not think it was a good idea to ask her employer for a loan after only 1 week of employment, even if her references check out…to me,it just starts the relationship off to an uncomfortable start.

Thanks for weighing in Sharon. It’s great to hear the opinion of someone who’s a nanny.