Tired Of Tipping?

Last Friday, Susan was psyched to leave work early to road trip to West Virginia for a weekend theater festival.  But when she got home to her Brooklyn apartment and went to hop in the car, she noticed a big fat nail sticking out of one of her tires.  Panicking that she’d miss Friday night’s performance, Susan had no idea how to change a tire (nor did she have a spare in the trunk).  She found the closest repair shop to her apartment and slowly drove her ailing car down the main neighborhood drag.

When she pulled up to the tiny store front called “TIRES ONLY,” the only repair man (and owner) came out to greet her.  She told him that she needed at new tire as fast as possible.  He took one look at her back wheel, and told her “you don’t need a new tire.  I’ll just repair it.”  $10 and ten minutes later, Susan’s tire was as good as new!

Not only was Susan grateful, she was completely impressed with the man’s honesty and excellent work.  She wanted to give him a big tip, but the problem was, she had no idea how to calculate a worthy tip based on a $10 charge.  Furthermore, he was the owner, and you never tip the owner, right?  Rushed to get on the road, Susan handed the man $15, thanked him profusely for saving the day, and then revved up her engine to hit the highway.

Should Susan have tipped the tire man more, or should she not have not tipped him at all?  What would you have done?  Tell us what you think!

7 Responses to “Tired Of Tipping?”

1. cat the great says:

I think it was fine that she gave him $15. If she wanted to be super generous, could have done $20. I don’t follow that owner rule. She was rewarding his quickness and kindness, so I would agree on giving extra. It’s about the service, afterall.

The tip here is totally optional, however, when you own a car, it’s especially wonderful to have a repair person whom you can trust.

Personally, I would have given the guy an even $20.00. A small price to pay for someone who saved you hundreds of dollars. The fact that the bill was only $10. has nothing to do with it. After all, we tip all the time on services that cost us nothing, such as luggage carriers, porters, etc.
    I realize he was the owner and I generally agree that you don’t tip the owner of a business, but in this case, I would have.

I don’t think she was wrong to tip $5.00 and I’m sure he appreciated it.

The Tip was appropriate but the Thank you for servicing her quickly and getting her out of a jam actually meant more to the owner. It would have been nice for her to promise him her tire business from now on, which is really what he was looking for to begin with. Good will from an owner and loyalty to that by his new customer is what he’s killing himself over daily. He also realizes how her word of mouth to her friends will bring him more business and that’s what he’s hoping to get in return, and by the way, deserves it. Patronize your local business’s who give you that great service.

4. Sara says:

I agree with Louie. Word of mouth and return business is so much more important to this owner than a ten or twenty dollar tip.

Agree with Lou as well. A sincere “thank you and from now on, you’re my tire guy” would make his day.
    And it’s not too late. He’s close to her apt, so she could stop by anytime and tell him. He’d appreciate it.

6. Jasmine says:

I think it’s better to tip because then you’ll get better service

7. Linda says:

If the charge for the service was ten dollars that
    is all she should have given him. But next time
    she needed tire work she should go back to him.
    No tipping.