A Cheap & Non-Toxic All Purpose Solution
We have always touted the amazing Fab & Fru virtues of vinegar as an eco-friendly – non-toxic – household cleaning solution. Inexpensive and fantastic at getting rid of mold, grease, bacteria and mineral deposits, vinegar is a DIY all-purpose wonder. But let’s face it – vinegar also… stinks. So, when my sister-in-law sent me this tip to use orange, lemon or grapefruit peels to make my own powerful cleaner that smelled brighter (with the added citrus punch of a degreaser, stain remover and freshener) – I was sold. Here’s what you do!
- Distilled white vinegar
- Citrus peels of 4-5 fruits – lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges
- Lemon, grapefruit, lavender or rosemary essential oil (optional but an excellent addition)
1. Using a 1 quart glass jar, place the peels of the citrus fruits into the jar (unless you have plans to make a batch of fresh squeezed OJ or lemonade, save your peels in the freezer until you have enough to fill a jar).
2. Pour white vinegar over the peels until jar is full, but not overflowing.
3. Cover tightly and let sit for at least 2 weeks (& up to one month), shaking every few days just to mix it up.
4. Strain the liquid and store the concentrate in a tightly covered jar up to one year.
How to use:
Mix 1 part liquid concentrate with 2 parts plain water into a spray bottle or bucket. Add in 3-6 drops of the essential oils of your choice and mix.
Facts & Tips!
- This is an all-purpose (including wood floors) cleaner, BUT DO NOT use it on granite and marble. Vinegar is acidic and will mar the finish of porous stone counter tops.
- While the citrus does not completely eliminate the vinegar scent when first sprayed, as it dries the vinegar scent fades and the citrus & herb scents linger.
- Get creative with your scent combinations!
What are your favorite vinegar tips and scent combos? Enjoy!